Thursday, June 10, 2010

Unconscious Messages

I battled the blah's today as I meandered around my home, worked on the computer and debated whether I should spend the day taking care of household chores or watch television.  Rather than do either of those, I grabbed the mandala coloring kit I had picked up last night to see what would become of my experiment with paper, stencils and black pens and returned to randomly mapping out various shapes into a circle formation.

I've been following Dana, aka @NineTomatoes, on Twitter for quite some time now.  I highly recommend you take some time to visit her website.  She is a master at creating beautiful, strikingly detailed mandalas.  It is through her that I became attracted to mandalas.  When my recent mailing from One Spirit Book Club offered me a mandala coloring kit I thought...why not?

Not really knowing what I was doing, nor how I was feeling about the process of making a mandala I forged ahead.  As I battled the blahs I slowly filled in each shape with black ink; letting my mind wander in between choosing another shape, another stencil, pausing to take a sip of coffee, stretching my arm out and taking long glances at my work.  When I had reached the point where I thought I was done and satisfied with my efforts I placed my drawing into the scanner and put it on the big screen.  Hmmm.

I have Adobe Photoshop, but I don't really know how to use it and I haven't sat down and taken the time to familiarize myself with it.  I'm all about trial and error though and knew there had to be a way to color my mandala.  It took me over an hour to figure it out and create the desired result.


A funny thing happened...

I finally printed a copy of my mandala.  While my husband was looking at it, moving his eyes across the photo, examining every shape he said, "Oh, I see a smiley face!"  I quickly dodged over to him insisting that I had certainly not put a happy face in there.  He pointed out the smiley face and noted how it looked like a little clown.

Huh.  I had no intention of doing that.

As I walked away he said, "Oh, and you can see the people raising their hands and cheering."

Whot?

Sure enough, there they were.

I'm taking a message from all of this.  Mandala creating is meditative, therapeutic, mood altering and energizing.  I was battling the blahs, but somehow I knew there was a delightful goddess within cheering me on, jumping in the air and saying, "Ta-daaaa!"

Blahs be gone.

No comments :

Post a Comment

A {{{HUG}}} for your thoughts....