Saturday, May 21, 2011

Creativity Is Food

Creative play time is the food that fills me, soothes me and releases the gunk that builds up in my head.  Creativity is food...sometimes literally.

Several years ago I purchased a copy of Win The Fat War Cookbook.  A compilation of recipes from Regina Ragone; Food Editor, Prevention Magazine. One of my absolute favorites is the Blueberry-Pecan Pancakes from Melissa Welch of Portland, Maine.


BLUEBERRY-PECAN PANCAKES
Melissa Welch, Portland Maine


1 C unbleached or all purpose flower

1/2 C whole-wheat flour

1/2 C oat bran

1/2 C chopped pecans

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 C molasses

1 C boiling water

1 C fat-free vanilla yogurt

2 large eggs

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 C fresh or frozen blueberries, rinsed and drained


Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and set over medium heat. 

In a small bowl, combine unbleached/all purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, oat bran, pecans, baking soda, and salt.

In a large bowl, combine molasses and boiling water.  Stir in yogurt, eggs and oil.  Pour molasses mixture into flour mixture.  Mix just until moistened.  Gently stir in blueberries.  Pour batter by 1/3 cupfuls into the skillet, making a few at a time.   Cook 2-3 minutes or until bubbly and edges look dry.  Turn and cook 1 minute, or until underside is golden.  Serve immediately.



Makes 12




I used to purchase oat bran, but if you don't have that you can easily grind oatmeal in a mini chopper/food processor. I use steel cut. I add in closer to 2 Cups of blueberries and I substitute 3 T of flax meal for the tablespoon of canola oil. My daughter turns her nose up to the word pecan, so I often cook up a couple cakes for her before actually adding them to the mix. These freeze up beautifully in sandwich size zip lock bags meaning they can be quickly zapped in the microwave for breakfast or a midnight snack. :) I like to brush them with a little butter and sprinkle with a little confectioners sugar. YUM-O!

Give them a try!

joY & gratitude~

1 comment :

A {{{HUG}}} for your thoughts....