Thursday, December 27, 2012

Friday Tickle :: Evo of a Christmas Card

I hope you have been enjoying the winter holidays and time spent with family and friends! We celebrate Christmas and as you can imagine this time of year has been very busy!  I did want to stop by for a moment and share a quick, little, creative adventure with you:  the Evo lution of a Christmas Card.

For many years I've made our family Christmas Cards. Rather than pull out the rubber stamps, this year I decided to try something a little different using a canvas board, collage, acrylic paint and ink.  To be quite honest, it didn't come together the way I had hoped it would and by the time I was done printing the 5x7" flat cards...I almost hated them and hesitated dropping the kraft paper envelopes in the mail or sharing them here.  But, Kreative Notions is all about mistaeks so I must share those too!


I adored this card stock I found at Michaels with a little snowman and the words "Memories never melt."  A few dabs of paint and Gesso spread with a brayer and I had the beginnings of a background.  So far, so good.  :)


I press a paper towel on the acrylic paint and Gesso to create a little bit o' texture (plus it soaks up any spots with excess paint).  I use wet wipes to remove wet paint from elements or words I want to highlight and a piece of cardboard morphs into a tree template.


If mistaeks weren't mandatory, I'd be extremely upset with myself right about.....now.  :)

I still grapple with patience.  Okay, who am I kidding?  I have none.  :)  Especially when I've waited far too long to start a project. Does that happen to you as well?  Things weren't sitting right with me.  I didn't know if it was the tree or the background or the tree?  I kept playing with it and playing with it and playing with it; rushing, and cursing and bouncing off the wall of frustration until I had reached the point of no return and started over from scratch....


...and sent this out.

Sprinkle Joy.  Embrace Mistaeks.  Have a Hap-Hap-Happy New Year!

No comments :

Post a Comment

A {{{HUG}}} for your thoughts....