Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tuesday Tickle: Creative Planning (& a Free Printable)



Have you ever had a problem finding a planner you really like?  That you'll actually use?  That's filled with color and perfectly imperfect?

Yeah, me too.

I've wanted to create a planner for at least a few years, but I really had no idea how to go about it.  Enter the SMASH Book.  

Early in 2012 I used a Smash Book to create a monthly planner.  I slaved over it for days creating each month with a pre-planned focus and pages between for weekly details.  It lasted about a month or two.

It was my way of trying to create a creative planner.  Something with less structure and dates and more room for doodling, photos and notes to m'self.  Somehow dates and structure ended up taking up more space and there was less room for creativity.

Next I tried my hand at creating pages on watercolor paper.  I scanned them into the computer for formatting and proceeded to forget about them.

Late last Fall I cracked open a new SMASH journal.  No pre-planning.  No formatting.  Just what happened to be on my mind at the time.  Ideas I wanted to work on.  Projects I wanted to begin. Reminders of appointments I had.  As much as I try to avoid it, there are times when I do have to be somewhere.  It began to take on a wonderful new shape and feel.

Over the past nine or ten months I've kept it going.  It has morphed and changed over time.  As have I.  As does life.  It is now a weekly planner.  I draw out the days of the week labeled with hand stamps I made; embellishing and coloring each day a little differently.  There's room for stickers, quotes, affirmations, gratitudes, doodles and more.  I note any timed appointments I have, jot to-dos and if I neglect to make a list I simply write in what I did do at the end of the day.  If I'm having one of those weeks when I don't write down much at all, or I skip a day...I fill the space with something else.  The snippits I have shared on Instagram and Facebook have received a welcome response.  I've been asked where one can get such a planner.  

Soon I'll be able to tell you.  :)

I am currently working on creating backgrounds and drawing out 52 weeks of creative planning pages similar in size to those I use in my SMASH Book. When I get them all done, they will be sent to a printer to be professionally printed and bound.  While I will label the days of the week, it will be offered undated so you could really start using it at any time of year.

In the mean time, I have rediscovered those watercolor calendars I made last year sitting on my computer and collecting dust.  I gave them a little digital TLC and have turned them into PDFs I now offer to you....FREE!  

Option 1::  An undated, "split" calendar with a column for notes and list-making, as well as a place to document your personal focus.  There's even a bit o' space for jotting other things down, doodling, or pasting last night's cookie fortune.  :)




Option 2::  A more traditional, undated, monthly calendar.  



Please note that Kreative Notions Freebies are for personal, non-commercial use.  Feel free to print them and share them with your friends, but I do ask that you do not alter them, nor attempt to sell or redistribute them in any other way.  If you'd like to share them via Facebook, Twitter, your blog and other social media sites I ask that you do so by linking to this post.  

I'm keeping one with my weekly creative planner for more distant planning; blog post ideas (because I always forget), project goals, etc.  How 'bout you?  Will you be using one of these calendars?  Where and for what?  The possibilities are endless.

Want to learn more about creative planning?  Here are a few lovelies to check out!


joY & gratitude,

No comments :

Post a Comment

A {{{HUG}}} for your thoughts....