Monday, June 16, 2014

Kreative Blog Hop

ICAD #13
I was honored to be tagged...er, invited by Teresa Robinson, THE Right Brain Planner, to be one of a trio of creatives in a blog hop.

In my quest to tag, er....invite, three more I received one confirmation.  Perhaps if you're a creative reading this you might be willing to bail me out, throw me a life preserver, push me over the finish line and join in by answering four little questions and linking back to this post.  And, if you please, post a link to your post in the comments below so I can share in your magic!

What am I working on?


Most recently I have been:
  • Playing in the land of ICAD (Index Card A Day)
  • Working in a handful of traveling art journals in an exchange with Instagram Friends
  • Making Happy Art Swap cards for a monthly trade
  • Making date kits for my new creative planner
  • Creative Planning
sneak peek of spread in traveling art journal
happy art swap card
day/date planner add-ins
planner page

How does my work differ from others of its genre?


My initial response is "because their work is better."  :)  Can't deny that Ms. F. Quibbler (what I call my negative inner voice) rears her ugly head every once in a while.  For the most part I don't think my work is much different.  I'm still learning, still trying to develop my own personal style so I spend a lot of time playing around with techniques demonstrated by others.

My tagline and the basis for most of my art is "mistaeks are mandatory....*flub it up."   (*insert favorite expletive, or not).  

When I began sharing my creativity online I kept hearing those voices from childhood that continually told me I had done something wrong.  Mistaeks were wrong, bad and unacceptable.  I disagree.  Mistaeks are mandatory....make lots of 'em!  Mistaeks are how we learn and quite often creative mistaeks invite magic.  And gesso....I love to use gesso and tissue paper to cover up the parts I don't like, creating layer upon layer of texture and color and allowing the magic at the door to come in.

Why do I create what I do?


Discovering my creativity, better yet, mixed media, has saved me.  In the mess and the chaos I find peace.  In the mess and the chaos I am able to let go, open up and allow myself to receive. Garbage in.  Garbage out.  When I feel like doggy-do-dos I might create a horrible, ugly page. Later, I might gesso it and let the good show up on the page.  In the mess and the chaos I find the inner voice that likes me.  {Think "Perfect" by P!nk}.  When I don't create; paint, doodle or get my fingers sticky with glue or paste I get irritable and short tempered.  Playing and creating helps me to heal, relax, see the beauty in life and feel the joy.

How does your creating process work?


Oh, am I supposed to have a process?  I really don't.  Then again, maybe I do.  

I just start.  I take out my journal or a plain piece of water color paper and start slapping stuff down.  If I'm throwing down paint, I pick the first three or four colors that scream at me.  I find my best work comes from the moments when I have no attachment to the outcome.  I'm not a visualizer.  I can't visualize what I want something to be.  I try.  It just never-ever-ever-ever turns out the way I think it will.  Sometimes it's great.  It leads to something I love.  Other times, not so much.  When taking an e-course, I've slowly learned to accept that what I create is not going to look just like that of the teacher.  I'm okay with that.

In addition, I'm easily side tracked.  While I keep a planner, I don't actually plan a lot.  I make lists, sure.  But sometimes I don't want to do what's on the list.  I have lots of ideas, but sometimes I'm not sure how I want to do something so it gets kicked to the side while I do something else.  Quite often my planner becomes "what I did" or "how I felt."

Oh look!  Shiny!

I seem to always find ways to apply mixed media to home projects.  These keep me out of the art loft. I've painted the underside of our glass top patio table, washi taped and painted an old wind chime and most recently I've begun painting the string light bulbs hanging around our deck because their light is a bit harsh for me.  

And now I'm off to the loft!

Tag!  You're It!


Please take a moment next week to acquaint yourself with my friend Sylvia Van Bruggen.  She is a writer, artist and play instigator.  She has Sylly Rules and will help you find your inner two-year-old.  :)  

If you'd like to participate, here are the questions for you to copy/paste:


What am I working on?
How does my work differ from others of its genre?
Why do I create what I do?
How does your creating process work?

Please post a link to your response in the comments section below.  

Thanks so much for inviting me to join in Teresa!  And thank you for taking the time to visit today!

joY & gratitude,

2 comments :

  1. "In the mess and the chaos I find the inner voice that likes me." - oh yes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Carlene! That phrase was inspired by a song titled "Perfect" by P!nk. :) Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete

A {{{HUG}}} for your thoughts....